Sunday, August 14, 2011

Reason #1: Lactaid is a Lifesaver

I grew up a small-town girl in southern Pennsylvania and was first introduced to ice cream by my grandfather, from whom I also inherited a love of the frozen treat. With all of the ice cream that I have eaten thus far in my life, it’s a wonder that I’m not obese and/or have not keeled over from a heart attack yet. I adore ice cream so much that I have even gone as far as to create an entire series of ice cream paintings and drawings for an art class that I was taking (which turned out to be a bad idea, since I couldn’t hang them on my walls without wanting to go out for an ice cream sundae).
And so, you can imagine my horror when, only a few weeks ago, I developed a lactose intolerance. My immediate reaction was to freak out. You would think that I had been diagnosed with a life-threatening disease or hair loss or something. I made my mom come to the grocery store with me, where we searched every nook and cranny of the ice cream freezers, looking for a lactose-free ice cream.
We found the Lactaid brand, which our store only carried three flavors of: vanilla, chocolate, and butter pecan. Not being a huge fan of either butter pecan or chocolate, I was forced to go with the plain vanilla. Not that I have anything against it, but after two weeks of ONLY being able to eat vanilla ice cream, I was going nuts and once again entered full freak-out mode, wondering if I would be doomed to eat vanilla ice cream for the rest of my life.
Calling upon my mother once again for help, we ventured through the medicine isle of our local Wegmans until we found Lactaid caplets. It was like an answer to my problem had fallen from the heavens! I could simply take a pill before I ate ice cream and then enjoy it to my heart’s content. I think I ate three bowls of ice cream that night… which definitely brings me back to my first point and trying to figure out how I’m not morbidly obese (or obese at all, for that matter).
My life over the past couple of weeks has definitely been a dairy long journey (haha). All I can say is, thank God for Lactaid! Has anyone else been in therapy since discovering your lactose intolerance? Feel free to comment or message me and tell me about your favorite ice cream flavor; I’d love to hear from you!
Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment and let me know how I'm doing, what you love, what you hate, and what makes you smile! Thanks for reading!